Learn to Crochet a Solid Granny Square With an Invisible Seam

Solid granny squares are a staple fixture in the crochet world. They are simple to make, a great way to use scraps, and can be the building blocks of a variety of larger projects. What makes them even better? When the seam is hidden in the corners and you can’t see it!

What can I make with solid granny squares?

Lots of people join granny squares into blankets and that’s a great use for them! However, it’s not the only use for them. You can make scarves, shawls, table runners, table cloths, placemats, gloves, sweaters, and more with granny squares!

I designed an infinity scarf with the granny square in this post. It’s called Ramona Scarf and it’s a free pattern that you can get here. The yarn I used for this scarf and the granny squares is an amazing yarn from Cascade Yarns called ReVerb. It’s made of 100% recycled materials! 70% of the fiber comes from recycled plastic bottles (amazing, right?!) and the other 30% is recycled alpaca fiber. You can learn more about it here.

Woman in the woods wearing a pink, yellow, and green crochet scarf.

How do I join granny squares together?

There are actually a lot of ways to do this, and clever crafters are coming up with new methods all the time. I’m currently working on a round-up of motif joining methods and I will link that here when it’s ready.

I have two tutorials for joining motifs that I can share with you. One is what I consider the most basic method, which is holding the square with right sides together and slip stitching the two edges together. This puts the seam on the wrong side of your piece, but it shows through the seam just a little when the item is stretched. The other method is intentionally visible as in my scarf, above. This is a method that I like to use with a contrasting color to draw an outline, as it were, around the squares.

Basic method to slip stitch squares together.

Visible contrasting seaming technique for crochet squares.

Written pattern for solid granny squares with invisible seams

As with all my patterns, please do not make digital of paper copies for others. Instead, please direct them to my website to get their own. Thank you!

Provided by April Garwood of Banana Moon Studio

Finished Measurements Square, customized dimensions.

Yarn Any yarn.

Hook Whichever size works best for your yarn. Check the yarn label for suggestions.

Gauge Custom.

Make an adjustable ring (aka Magic Circle). Find a tutorial for that here.

Rnd 1 Ch 2 (does not count as a st), working into the adjustable ring *3 dc, ch 2, repeat from * 2 times, 3 dc, pull tail gently to tighten ring, hdc in first st to join, space under hdc counts as a corner ch sp – 12 sts.

Rnd 2 Ch 2, 2 dc in first corner ch sp, *dc in each st to next corner ch sp**, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch sp, repeat from * 3 times, ending last rep at **, 2 dc in beginning corner ch sp again, hdc in first st to join – 28 sts.

Repeat Rnd 2 as many times as desired to make your granny square bigger. When you’ve reached the desired size, fasten off.

Join squares with your preferred method.

Do you have a video to show this?

Why yes, I do! I included that in a previous post, which you can see here.

Happy crocheting!

April

Save this for later by pinning it!

.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *